Then & Now – Ornamental Fountain Monument / Monumento De Fuente Ornamental
The Ornamental Fountain was gifted to the Dominican Republic by the United States in on February 27, 1944. This fountain was given to mark the 100 year centennial anniversary of the country’s independence and the expulsion of the Haitian government from the country.
The Fountain reads –
“1844 – 1944
Los Ciudadnos Americanos en la Republica Dominicana al pueblo Dominicano en prueba de amistad y admiracion su primer centenario.”
Translated to English – The American Citizens in the Dominican Republic to the Dominican people in proof of friendship and admiration its first centenary.
The after picture is from a news article which reads –
“Bella fuente ornamental construida por la Colonia Norteamericana radicada en la República y obsequiada al pueblo y Gobierno dominicanos como demostración de simpatías en la fecha conmemorativa del Primer Centenario de la Independencia Nacional. Este significativo monumento se encuentra situado junto a la Avenida U.S. Marine Corps, en un parquecito triangular que hace fuente con el Club de la Juventud de Ciudad Trujillo.”
Translated to English – “Beautiful ornamental fountain built by the Colony North American based in the Republic and given to the Dominican people and Government as a demonstration of sympathy on the commemorative date of the First Centennial of National Independence. This significant monument is located next to Avenida U.S. Marine Corps, in a triangular little park that makes a fountain with the Club de la Juventud of Ciudad Trujillo.”
The fountain is located in Parque San Jose between Calles Jose Gabriel Garcia, El Malecon and 19 de Marzo. It is not a fountain any longer. It looks like a big loving cup. It holds the neighborhood Christmas tree and from time to time a plant tries to grow inside.