Iglesia Nuestra Señora del Carmen / The Church of Our Lady of Carmen
The Brotherhood of Remedies and of Carmen, a small group of parishioners, wanted to have a small chapel for their meetings. They built their small chapel in 1615 on a plot of land owned by the San Andres Hospital.
In 1729 the chapel was enlarged. The main entrance door dates back to this period. It was christened the Plazoleta de la Trinitaria and was used as a meeting ground for the Dominicans who led the revolt against the Haitians who occupied the city in 1844.
Inside this chapel there is a wooden sculpture of the Nazareno (Nazarene) who is a type of Christ.
Did you know?
July 16 is the celebration of the patron saint Nuestra Señora del Carmen. She is the Patron Saint of the Fuerza Aérea de República Dominicana (FARD) / Dominican Republic Air Force.
: From Calle el Conde turn south on Sanchez. Go 1 block to Calle Arzobispo Nouel. It is on the left beside the Capilla de San Andrés and Hospital Billini.