La Casa de los Jesuitas on the corners of Calle las Damas and Las Mercedes

Casa de los Jesuitas

Casa de los Jesuitas / House of the Jesuites

home of Sede del Centro de Altos Estudios Humanísticos y del Idioma Español / Headquarters Center for Advanced Humanistic Studies and Spanish Language.

La Casa de los Jesuitas on Calle las Damas
La Casa de los Jesuitas on Calle las Damas

The stone and brick house, Casa de los Jesuitas, is one of the oldest buildings in the city. Governor Fray Nicolás de Ovando ordered the Jesuits to build this house in the early 16th century.

La Casa de los Jesuitas on the corners of Calle las Damas and Las Mercedes
La Casa de los Jesuitas on the corners of Calle las Damas and Las Mercedes

In 1701 ordered to be used as a university. The building was finally completed in 1747.

La Casa de los Jesuitas gargoyle.
La Casa de los Jesuitas gargoyle.

Twenty years later the Jesuits were banned from the Dominican Republic so the building was given to the state. It became the home of the Colegio Santiago de la Paz y Gorjón 1767.

La Casa de los Jesuitas
La Casa de los Jesuitas
Casa de los Jesuitas plaque on wall
Casa de los Jesuitas plaque on wall

Location: The corner of Calle Las Damas and Calle Las Mercedes across from Casa Reales.

All You Want To Know About The Oldest City In The Americas

Plugin Kapsule Corp

Back To Top