The Food of Dominican Republic / La Comida de República Dominicana
– Small bread or Roll.
– Hotcakes. Pancakes.
Pan de Auga
– Water Bread. These individual crusty bread rolls are very flavorful. The outside is crusty while the inside is soft. They are good eating alone or made into a sandwich. Most Colmados sell them fresh made every morning.
Pan de Fruta
(Bread Fruit)- a typical food for Christmas. They are close in flavor and texture to a Chestnut in United States. They are a brown shelled fruit covered in a spiny covering that is removed. They are boiled with olive oil or butter to eat plain.They can be mashed, fried, stewed, or made into a dessert with milk and spices.
– Pig stomach cooked. Panza is usually a little spicy and does not have an appealing look plus it has a bit of a funky smell. If you can get past the looks the taste is very good.
Pasteles en Hoja
– A type of tamale with a variety of fillings. The insides are usually made with plantain and sometimes Yucca. They are stuffed with a variety of meats or soy. Then the pasteles are wrapped in a banana leaf, tied and boiled. Dominicans like them served with some ketchup, mayonnaise or a little hot sauce.
– Dominican small fried pastries filled with cheeses, meats and/ or vegetables.
Patas de Pollo
– Chicken feet. These can be cooked in many different ways including fried and boiled for a soup.
Paticas de Cerdo
– Pigs Feet. There are also Patas de Rez (beef) and patas de Chivo (goat). Dominicans love patas and they have a special way of cooking these to make them taste wonderful. They can be prepared in a stew or cooked “guisada” style with a tomato sauce the same as many of the meats are prepared. This picture is Paticas de Cerdo boiled to be eaten plain or ready for other ingredients to be added.
Pechuga de Pollo
– Chicken Breast
– Heart of Palm
also pronounced Pecao – Fish
– Red Fish
– Fish fried in oil found throughout the country. You can find this fish on many of the beaches throughout the country fried fresh. They are fried whole with the head and all.
– Pepsi Cola
also known as Pollo Frito- Breaded fried chicken
– The tail of the chicken.
– Pineapple. more about the piña.
Platanos de Caldero or Maduro
– Caramelized ripe plantains (get the recipe for Platanos Maduro)
– Octopus. The same as squid (pulpo) but larger. This tasty food can be cooked in a variety of ways.