The Faro San Souci at Punta Torrecilla is located near the entrance to the port of Santo Domingo at Rio Ozama on the South Coast of Dominican Republic. The yellow and black lighthouse stands at the tip of the park Punta Torrecilla on the coral cliffs of the Caribbean Sea. The lighthouse can be seen from many points around the city.
The original lighthouse in this location was built around 1853. It was deactivated and demolished in 1967. The present Black and Yellow Faro located on the point was built in 1986. It is very similar in appearance to the Survivors Lighthouse on the North Coast in Puerta Plata.
The pyramid-like concrete tower is 125 feet tall. The entire height, including the light, is 135 feet tall. Faro Sans Souci sends out a blinking white light beacon with a view range of 13 nautical miles. The lighthouse is used as a navigational aid for entrance into the Port of Santo Domingo. The Faro San Souci sits on a terrain about 7 meters above sea level.
Punta Torrecilla Park and Beach
From the vantage point of the park at Punta Torrecilla, there is a beautiful view of the city of Santo Domingo and Avenida George Washington also known as the Malecon. There are usually people fishing off the coral cliffs. Sit, relax and watch the many ships bringing and leaving with their loads. Many Cruise Ships and the Ferry from Puerto Rico come and go from the Puerto Santo Domingo. The ports include Puerto San Souci and Puerto Don Diego.
The park was at one time had beautiful walkways along the coral cliffs where the waves of the turquoise Caribbean Sea broke. Now the paths are broken and most lay in rubble. The park is usually littered with trash from people picnicking under the palm trees and there are no facilities.
At the so-called beach local youths like to swim off the cliffs which can be dangerous. Swimming is prohibited here during popular Dominican holidays because of the hazards. It is visited by police and military off and on, trying to keep the area safe. It is OK to visit during the daylight but I would highly advise against visiting after dark. It is a lonely and quiet place where derelicts and bad humans frequent.
The Park of Punta Torrecilla, where the Faro sits, is located at Dominican Republic’s South East coast in Los Mameyes, Santo Domingo Este along Avenida España on the property of the Naval Base 27 de Febrero. Academia Naval / Naval Academy is located across the street and the Club De Oficiales De La Marina De Guerra / Navy Officers Club is next door. Coming into Santo Domingo from the airport the park sits on the left before you enter the city.
Parque Mirador del Sur is the first ecological park of Santo Domingo. It is one of the most important elements of the network of green spaces in the city.
Parque Mirador del Sur is a 4 mile long shaded space that is ideal for leisure and recreation within the city. There are many cliffs and caves in the area that were used as settlements for the indigenous people of the island. Designated paths for walking, jogging, skating and bike riding plus a skateboard ramp and an exercise area make it the perfect place to enjoy the outdoors. There is even a man-made lake with rowboats in this green area. The interesting murals throughout the park and a beautiful fountain make it the perfect place to be.
The park extends from Avenida Abraham Lincoln to Ave. Luperon in Santo Domingo South, Districto Nacional.
The Parque Eugenio María de Hostos, located on the Malecon sea side road in Santo Domingo, is a beautiful park to visit. The plaza has tree and flower-lined paths, playground and exercise areas and a reflecting pool. The park was also known as Plaza Colombina and Parque Ramfis. It is a place of fun, beauty and also a place of incredible sadness.
The Park and public space Eugenio Maria de Hostos has a very interesting past and present.
The original park was named Plaza Colombina and was there before the entire seafront was reworked to be a place for enjoyment. (President Trujillo is the person that build the seafront road, The Malecon. Before this there was no real road to speak of.)
On September 3, 1930 a devastating hurricane, Cyclone San Zenón, hit Santo Domingo directly. There were only 400 buildings left standing of the cities 10,000 some structures. Rafael Leonidas Trujillo, who had just recently become president, declared a state of emergency, as tens of thousands of the cities residents were now homeless.
Plaza Colombina was used to dispose of and burn the storm debris. These fires were also used as funeral pyres, for cremating hundreds of the human and animal casualties from this incredibly devastating hurricane (some say that the dictator Trujillo used this opportunity to also dispose of politicians and activists that did not die in the storm).
The park was again renovated and inaugurated in 1936 during days of dictator Trujillo. The new name was Parque Ramfis, named after Trujillo’s first-born son.
The park was very well kept. It had a public swimming pool, library, aquarium, aviary, a place for skating, bicycle trail and pavilions for concerts.(Old pictures of the park are located in the Old Pictures of Dominican Republic image collection).
The name changed, once again, to Parque Eugenio María de Hostos in 1961. Over the years it changed to a dull, dirty and depressing place. It was boarded up for many years and became an eyesore along the Malecon.
New and Improved Parque Eugenio María de Hostos
After closing the park for about six years and spending over 80 million pesos on renovation works the new Parque Eugenio María de Hostos was inaugurated on December 14, 2013.
The newly improved park adhered to much of the original park looks and design. The park has many flowers, shrubs and trees including beautiful Oaks (Robles), Almond (Almendras) and Palms. There are a playground and an exercise area plus a beautiful reflecting pool in the center.
There is a fountain with reflecting pool and a mural by artist Manuel Toribio. You can stroll along the beautiful and serene flower-lined walkways that twist and turn throughout the park.
There is a section where there is exercise equipment for all to use and a brightly painted playground for the children and even clean public restrooms. There is a police station located in the park, good lighting and security cameras for the safety of all.
The park is now a fantastic and fun place for the entire family.
The Malecon (Avenida George Washington) of Santo Domingo across from the Plaza Juan Barón and the Obelisco Macho, Ciudad Nueva. Walking distance from the Colonial City.
National Scout Office
For the Scouts, the Eugenio Maria de Hostos Park has special importance. It is the headquarters of the Asociación de Scouts Dominicanos, Inc. / Dominican Scout Association, Inc. and has housed the National Scout Office since the 1950s and is the home of Scout Group No.7. “In 2014 marks the 100th anniversary of the arrival of the Scout movement to the Dominican Republic. The reopening of this space that houses the national home of the Scouts, as is the Eugenio María park Hostos, occurs at the right time, as it will allow us to celebrate with the rest of the citizenry this historical moment in our home, “said Diana Taveras, No. 7 Scout Group.
Who Is Eugenio María de Hostos?
Eugenio María de Hostos Bonilla (Born January 11, 1839 and died on August 11, 1903 at the age of 64). He was born in Puerto Rico, educated in Puerto Rico, and Spain and traveled extensively throughout the Americas. He held many titles including educator, philosopher, lawyer, writer, sociologist and fighter for women’s rights. He also has many published written works.
Hostos and his Cuban wife had 5 children. He was known as “The Great Citizen of the Americas” / “El Gran Ciudadano de las Américas”.
Eugenio María de Hostos first came to the Dominican Republic in 1875 where he founded a Teachers School. He stayed here for a year, then moved to Venezuela. He returned off and on to Santo Domingo and helped to reorganize the educational and railroad systems of the country.
Eugenio María de Hostos remains are located in the Panteón Nacional in Colonial Zone, as he wished. They are only to be moved to Puerto Rico on the day the country is completely independent. His birthday is a national holiday in Puerto Rico. Honoring Hostos are schools, monuments, towns and more in Dominican Republic, Spain, USA and other countries.