Then & Now / Antes & Ahora – Cine Capitolio is now Capitolio Market Place.
Cine Capitolio was built in 1925 by Juan Bautista del Toro, it was the first cinema / movie theater in the Dominican Republic.
The theater first showed silent movies, the first was “Los Enemigos de la Mujer”, then progressed to playing “talkies”. When this occurred they lost many movie goers because most of the films were in English. Finally, they presented the Mexican produced film “Charros y Manolas”, the first film they showed in the Spanish language. The theater was back in business and the cine boomed until the mid 1960’s when they closed the doors for good.
Capitolio Market Place
The building, once named Columbus Plaza, is called Capitolio Market Place. This 3 level gift shop house different retail shops, gift shops, food and cigar vendors and also have a restaurant with a daily buffet.
Location – #206 Calle Arzobispo Meriño not far from Calle El Conde across from the Cathedral of Santo Domingo.
Thank you Imágenes de Nuestra Historia, R.D