Category Archives: COLONIAL ZONE – SIGHTS & MONUMENTS

Contents of Category COLONIAL ZONE – SIGHTS & MONUMENTS

History of the old city of Santo Domingo now known as the Zona Colonial.

Colonial Zone Map

The Monuments, Museums and Sights of the Colonial City.

Buildings/Edificios – Monuments/Monumentos

CASA CABALLERO
CASA DE BASTIDAS
CASA DE JUAN VILORIA
CASA DE LOS DÁVILA / CAPILLA DE LOS REMEDIOS
CASA DE LOS JESUITAS
CASA DE LAS GÁRGOLAS
CASA DE LOS MEDALLONES
CASA DEL CORDÓN
CASA DEL SACRAMENTO
CASA DEL TAPAO
CASA DEL TOSTADO
CASA DE LAS ACADEMIAS
CASA HERNÁN CORTÉS
CASA REALES AND MUSEO
COLEGIO DE GORJÓN
COLONIAL CULVERTS
COLUMBUS PALACE
MONTECINO THE MAN AND MONUMENT
PALACIO CONSISTORIAL
PALACIO DE BORGELLÁ
SUN DIAL
RUINS OF THE SAN FRANCISCO MONASTERY
RUINAS HOSPITAL SAN NICOLÁS DE BARI

*Monuments from old html web site not yet added to the new site:

Alcazar de Colón/ Columbus Palace
Altar de la Patria/ Altar of the Nation
Atarazanas (Las)/ The Atarazanas
Puerta el Conde/ Door of the Conde
Puerta de la Misericordia/ Gate of Mercy
Puerta de las Atarazans
Puerta de San Diego/ Gate of St. James
Residencia de Ovando/ Governor Nicolás Ovando’s Residence

CHURCHES / IGLESIAS

CAPILLA DE LA TERCERA ORDEN DOMINICA
CASA DE LOS DÁVILA / CAPILLA DE LOS REMEDIOS
CATEDRAL DE SANTO DOMINGO
CHAPEL OF THE ROSARY
ERMITA DE SAN ANTÓN
IGLESIA ALTAGRACIA
IGLESIA – FUERTE SANTA BARBARA
IGLESIA LAS MERCEDES
IGLESIA LOS DOMINICOS
IGLESIA NUESTRA SEÑORA DEL CARMEN
IGLESIA REGINA ANGELORUM
IGLESIA SAN LAZARO
IGLESIA DE SANTA CLARA
LA CAPILLA DE SAN ANDRÉS
LAS MERCEDES
CAPILLA DE LA TERCERA ORDEN FRANCISCANA
IGLESIA DE SAN MIGUEL
PANTEÓN NACIONAL / NATIONAL PANTHEON

FORTS AND FORTALEZAS

Fortaleza Ozama
Inside The Walls of the Fortaleza Ozama
FUERTE CARINA AND ANGULO
FUERTE SAN GIL
IGLESIA – FUERTE SANTA BARBARA
FUERTE AND PARQUE SAN JOSÉ
FUERTE DE LA CONCEPCIÓN

*Forts from old html web site not yet added to the new site:

Fuerte Invencible
Fuerte de la Caridad/ Fort of Charity
Fuerte de San Anton
Fuerte de San Lazaro
Fuerte de San Miguel

MUSEUMS/MUSEOS

CASA DE BASTIDAS – Trampolín, Museo Infantil
CASA DEL TOSTADO – Museo de la Familia Dominicano
CASA DE LOS MEDALLONES – Museo Numismático Dominicano
COLEGIO DE GORJÓN – Centro Cultural de España
CASA REALES AND MUSEO
COLUMBUS PALACE – MUSEO ALCAZAR DE COLÓN

*Museos from old html web site not yet added to the new site:

Amber World Museum
Larimar Factory
Larimar Museum
Museo del Tabaco/ The Tobacco Museum
Museo Naval de las Atarazanas/ Naval Museum of the Atarazanas
Museo de la Porcelana/ Museum of Porcelain
Museo de Juan Pablo Duarte/ Museum of Juan Pablo Duarte
Museo Alcazar de Colon
Memorial Museum of Dominican Resistance / El Museo Memorial de la Resistencia Dominicana
Museo del Ron y la Caña / Museum of Rum and Sugar Cane
Museum of Telecommunications / Museo de las Telecomunicaciones (CCT)

PARKS AND PLAZAS

CEIBA DE COLON
PARQUE PLAZA MARIA TRINIDAD SANCHEZ
PLAZA DE LA POESÍA
PARQUE PELLERANO CASTRO – PARQUE ROSADO
FUERTE AND PARQUE SAN JOSÉ
Playa Placer de los Estudios

*Parks and Plazas from old html web site not yet added to the new site:

Cementerio Nacional de la Avenida Independencia/ National Cemetery Avenue Independencia (Picture album – Cementerio Nacional)
Malecón – The seaside road
Parque Colón/ Columbus Park
Parque Duarte
Parque Independencia/ Independence Park
Plaza de España or Plaza de Armas
Plaza María de Toledo
Plaza at Ermita de San Anton and Fort San Francisco
Plaza Bartolomé de las Casas
Plazoleta Padre Billini
Plazoleta y Callejónde los Curas/ Plaza and Alley of the Cures

STATUES
Poet Julia de Burgos
MONTECINO THE MAN AND MONUMENT
The Statue of General Matías Ramón Mella
Ornamental Fountain Monument
Monument to the Japanese Agricultural Immigration

STREETS/CALLES
CALLE EL CONDE
CALLE LAS DAMAS
CALLE HOSTOS

Palacio Consistorial

Palacio Consistorial

The Palacio Consistorial, located in the Colonial City / Ciudad Colonial of Santo Domingo, was the original location of the old town hall. It is the oldest Town Hall in The Americas. Not only has this historical building witnessed unrivaled events in the history of The Dominican Republic, but it is also the place where many of the most important decisions of the country have been made.

The Palacio Consistorial with its distinguishing tower as seem from Calle Arzobispo Meriño, Ciudad Colonial.
The Palacio Consistorial with its distinguishing tower as seem from Calle Arzobispo Meriño, Ciudad Colonial.

The Palacio Consistorial was built between 1502 and 1504. It has been remodeled many times during its lifetime in which much of the original facade has been hidden and covered over.

The original Palacio Consistorial
The original Palacio Consistorial (Imágenes de Nuestra Historia).

The Remodeling

The Palace was remodeled between 1911 and 1913 by the architect Osvaldo Báez Machado (Machado also remodeled the Iglesia de la Altagracia and The Hospital Padre Billini). He changed the edificio to have a neoclassical style that was very popular at that time.

The Palacio has many beautiful balconies with iron railing.
The Palacio has many beautiful balconies with iron railing.

The porch on the ground level runs along the entire building and the second floor boasts a large curved corner balcony and small balconies with iron railing.

The ground level porch of the Palacio Consistorial.
The ground level porch of the Palacio Consistorial.

Museo de la Villa de Santo Domingo

The interior of the Consistorial, also known as the Museo de la Villa de Santo Domingo, has a large central patio. It is exquisite with the beautiful fountain and surrounding terraces. An elegant staircase rises to the second floor. Along with the busts of the Padres de la Patria (Juan Pablo Duarte, Francisco del Rosario Sanchez and Ramon Matias Mella), there is a beautiful antique grand piano and crystal chandeliers.

In 1939 the exiled Spanish Architect Tomas Auñón made the interior woodwork and trim. In 1944, Vela Zanneti, the great Spanish muralist, made the mural that tells the history of the city. Starting with the loves of Miguel y Catalina up to the Era of Trujillo. The art emphasizes the San Zenón Hurricane that in 1930 marked the beginning of the 31 years of Trujillo’s dictatorship.

Palacio Consistorial has a large curved corner balcony where the clock tower rises to the crowned dome known as El Vivaque.
Palacio Consistorial has a large curved corner balcony where the clock tower rises to the crowned dome known as El Vivaque.

The most notable aspect of this historic building, the 95 foot high (29 meter) clock tower / torre del reloj. The tower was added during the time of Trujillo. The top of the tower has a crowned dome known as El Vivaque. The tower has a clock on its front that in old times was an important time peace in the city. Now, it is just for show.

All the lights are ablaze late at night at the Palacio Consistorial.
All the lights are ablaze late at night at the Palacio Consistorial.

For years the building was part of the Banco de Trabajadores. For a time it was a jail and a police station. Now the building houses Ayuntamiento del Distrito Nacional. It is also a beautiful and elegant space for art exhibitions and cultural activities.

The bright white tower of the Palacio Consistorial can be seen high above the Colonial City and can be used to find your way.
The bright white tower of the Palacio Consistorial can be seen high above the Colonial City and can be used to find your way.

This tower of the Consistorial Palace is an iconic part of the Colonial Zone. If you lose your way in the Colonial Area just look to the sky for this tower with the clock (usually the clock is not working). This unique tower can be seen from most of the surrounding Colonial Zone area. If you become lost or can’t remember how to get back to the Conde just locate the tower and head towards it.

The optical illusion. It looks like the tower of the Palacio is leaning towards the street.
The optical illusion. It looks like the tower of the Palacio is leaning towards the street.

Note

– The building and its tower look like it is leaning towards the street. This, I am told, is an optical illusion.

Calle Arzobispo Meriño, the brightly colored trinitaria and the Palacio Consistorial can be seen in the distance.
Calle Arzobispo Meriño, the brightly colored trinitaria and the Palacio Consistorial can be seen in the distance.

Location:

The Consistorial Palace and the Museo de la Villa de Santo Domingo is on the corner of Calle El Conde and Arzobispo Meriño, at Parque Colon. Just look up and you will see the distinctive tower.

Reference – Diario Libre

Ruinas Hospital San Nicolás de Bari

Ruinas Del Hospital San Nicolás de Bari/ Ruins of the Hospital San Nicolas de Bari

The Hospital San Nicolás de Bari, located in the Colonial City of Santo Domingo, was built between 1503 and 1508 by order of the Governor Nicolas de Ovando. It was the first hospital and church built from stone in the New World and is a UNESCO World Heritage protected site.

The entrance to the Ruinas Del Hospital San Nicolás de Bari and the Iglesia Altagracia next to the ruins.
The entrance to the Ruinas Del Hospital San Nicolás de Bari and the Iglesia Altagracia next to the ruins.

The Templo y Hospital of San Nicolas de Bari was originally built in November 1503. It was located in the original settlement on the other side of Rio Ozama. When the settlement moved the hospital was rebuilt at its present location. It is said that the hospital was built atop the home of a black woman who nursed the sick.

Governor Nicolas de Ovando ordered the hospital to be rebuilt promptly because there was such a great need. Sickness and disease were prevalent due to the heat, insects and lack of medicines and treatment knowledge. The hospital and doctors center along with the adjoining church, Iglesia Altagracia, was funded entirely by contributions from the more affluent people of the colony.

The front of the Ruinas Del Hospital San Nicolás de Bari.
The front of the Ruinas Del Hospital San Nicolás de Bari.

Changes Throughout The Years

The original hospital was a palm hut. The ladies of the colony who had the desire would come and take care of the sick as a charity offering. This palm building was only able to hold about six patients.

All that remains of the Hospital San Nicolas De Bari.
All that remains of the Hospital San Nicolas De Bari.

A stone building replaced the original palm structure in 1519. Construction of this state of the art hospital made of stone and brick was complete in 1527. Only a small chapel remains of the second building.

Some of the original pillars are saved inside the ruins of the hospital.
Some of the original pillars are saved inside the ruins of the hospital.

The third hospital was built from 1533 to 1556. It was much larger and could hold about fifty patients. This building took a beating from the Pirate Francis Drake in 1586. The profiteer burned and destroyed the medical center and stole its contents including documents and many treasures of the church.

San Nicolás de Bari also served as a military hospital but continued to disintegrate due to hurricanes and earthquakes. Even though the building was in ill repair it continued to be used.

The archway of the hospital San Nicolas de Bari still remains
The archway of the hospital still remains

Finally, after the Restoration in 1863, the hospital was abandoned and left to decay. The walls were further destroyed when the chapel, the Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia, adjoining the decaying hospital was rebuilt in the 1930’s. At this time some walls were knocked down because they were in danger of falling.

Parrots and Pigeons nesting in the walls of the Ruins of San Nicolas De Bari
Parrots and Pigeons nesting in the walls of the Ruins of San Nicolas De Bari

San Nicolas de Bari Today

Now, when you enter what is left of the walls of the hospital you can still see a cross-shaped outline on the faded blue floor tile. The holes in the interior walls are nesting homes for the local pigeon and parrot population (they get very loud during mating season). On the exterior wall high up is a very large active beehive.

The beehive on the exterior wall of the Ruins of San Nicolas De Bari
The beehive on the exterior wall of the Ruins of San Nicolas De Bari

Location:

From Calle el Conde turn away from the sea onto Calle Hostos. The Ruins and Iglesia Altagracia are located between Calle Mercedes and Calle Luperón.

Calle Hostos

Calle Hostos

Calle Hostos is one of the most beautiful and unique in the Colonial Zone. This very old and historical street runs from North to South through the heart of the Colonial City.

Looking down Calle Hostos  towards Calle el Conde. The Iglesia Altagracia is on the left.
Looking down Calle Hostos towards Calle el Conde. The Iglesia Altagracia is on the left.

The street originally was named Calle del Hospital, named so because of the Hospital San Nicolás de Bari is located on this calle antiguo. Hostos was also called Calle Militar.

Calle Militar changed its name again in 1904. The name was changed to what it is today, Calle Hostos. It is named after the Dominican national hero and educator Eugenio María de Hostos (1839-1903).

Calle Hostos hill with wooden houses.
Calle Hostos hill with wooden houses.

The most beautiful and most photographed part of this historic street is going up the steep hill. There are stairs on either side of the steep cobblestone street. Here you can see some of the original old wooden houses, protected by UNESCO, lining the incline.

Calle Hostos has been the location for many different movie shoots the most famous being The Godfather III.

Calle Hostos near Parque Duarte.
Calle Hostos near Parque Duarte.

Location:

Walking from the eastern end of the Conde in Ciudad Colonial Hostos street runs left and right. Hostos starts at the Fuerte y Parque de San José, passes Parque Duarte, a few fun bars and restaurants, crosses Calle el Conde, passes the Iglesia Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia and the Ruinas San Nicolás de Bari and ends at the Ruinas del Monasterio de San Francisco.