Casa de Cordón is named such for the “Cord of San Francisco” carved in stone surrounding the doorway. It was built by Francisco de Garay who, when he originally arrived in the New World, was a servant of Christopher Columbus (Cristóbal Colón). Columbus taught Garay to be a Notary Public and Garay gained his wealth from investing in the mining of the country.
First Stone House In The New World
This beautiful structure was the first stone house in the New World. It was also the oldest structure in The New World with 2 floors. It was built in the Elizabethan and Gothic styles of the time.
Many of the noted persons of the time resided in this home including Viceroy Diego Columbus, the son of Christopher Columbus, with his wife María de Toledo. After they left their temporary home in the Torre del Homenaje they lived briefly in the Casa del Cordón before moving to his official residence in the Alcazar Colón.
The original Royal Court / Real Audiencia was founded in the Casa del Cordón. The house was a place of grand social gatherings and meetings of the important and “beautiful people” of the time. All were waited on hand and foot by the black slaves.
In 1586 Sir Francis Drake made his terrible and devastating invasion of Santo Domingo. He and his Pirates took over the city and held the people hostage. Drake told the citizens of Santo Domingo that they could buy back their city. The inhabitants of Santo Domingo paid a heavy price of silver, gold and all they had of any value to these English Pirates to get back their beloved city. This building is where all the transactions took place.
For a time it was the location of the Real Audiencia.
The Casa del Cordón is now the home of Banco Popular (Popular Bank). The bank took care of the restoration of this beautiful building. When you enter you will be amazed at the beauty inside. The floor and vaulted ceiling are amazing. The central courtyard is immaculate and beautifully kept.
also known as Casa de la Moneda / House of Currencies and El Museo Numismático Dominicano / The Numismatic Museum Dominicano
This historical house is believed to date from the first half of the sixteenth century. Its building coincided with the completion of the Cathedral around 1540.
It is named House of Medallions because of the five medallions with the human faces inside. There is one face above each pillar and the other three are centered above the doorway. The center face, an adolescent face with a hairstyle of that period, is thought to be the face of King Carlos the Fifth. Some say the other faces are the Kings faces also depicting different his different ages.
The homes original inhabitants are unknown. It is thought to have been the home of some rich government employee.
The story goes that this building is where silver coins were minted. This is not true. There was another building in front of this house where coins were minted. That building was demolished long ago.
Casa de los Medallones was restored in 1972 and is home to El Museo Numismático Dominicano / The Numismatic Museum Dominicano.
The street where this historical home is located is now called Arz. Meriño. The original street name was Calle Los Piateros translated as Silversmith’s Street.
Arzobispo Meriño #358 between Calle Mercedes and Emiliano Tejera. The house is across from the City Council parking lot.
Diego Caballero (1511-1554), also spelled Cavallero, was the writer and Secretary of the Real Audience from 1511 to 1554. Caballero also owned one of the largest sugar mills of the time.
Casa Caballero was probably built in the mid-sixteenth century. Diego built many of the important houses of the era. Many of these historic buildings are still standing today. One of the most important buildings built by Caballero is the Casa del Santísimo Sacramento/ House of the Blessed Sacrament. It is located on the street as his home.
Location: Calle Pellerano Alfau (originally called Calle de los Nichos). Between Calle Las Damas and Isabel la Católica. The small street is not for thru traffic. The street leads to the front door of the Fortaleza Ozama.
All You Want To Know About The Oldest City In The Americas