Tag Archives: colon

Fortaleza Ozama – Inside The Walls

Inside the Fortaleza Ozama

The history of all the buildings, walls and monuments inside the coral walls of the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Fort Ozama.

Fortelaza Ozama | Fortaleza Ozama – Inside The Walls of Fortaleza Ozama | (1)La Puerta de Charles III/ The Gate of the Fortress | (2)The Statue of Oviedo | (3)The Tower of Homage/ Torre del Homenaje | (4)The Arsenal/ Armory Polvorín de Santa Bárbara | (5 & 6)The Low and High Shooting Platforms | (7)The remains of the First Fort/ Primera Obra | (8)Old Army Barracks | (9)The Fort of Santiago/ Fuerte de Santiago | (10)Casa de Bastidas | (11)Muralla de Felix Benito | Fortaleza Ozama in 1910 | Picture Collection over 300 pictures of the Fortaleza Ozama |

Map Inside Fortaleza Ozama Numbered 1

Map Inside Fortaleza Ozama Numbered 1

(1.) La Puerta de Charles III

La Puerta de Charles III, The entrance to Fortaleza Ozama.
La Puerta de Charles III, The entrance to Fortaleza Ozama.

La Puerta de Charles III / The Gate of Charles III and El Portal de la Fortaleza/ The Gate of the Fortress – 1787

The original entrance to the Fortaleza Ozama dates from 1557-1564. The doors, The Gate of Charles III, that are still here now came almost 2 centuries later in 1787 and was named after King Charles III of Spain. Made from imported African ebony these were built during the reign of the king for which it is named. Built when there was much economic prosperity thus their elaborateness. They wanted it to be impressive as this was main entry to the fort, the first thing all visitors saw.

Looking inside the Puerta de Charles III to the interior courtyard of the Fortaleza Ozama.
Looking inside the Puerta de Charles III to the interior courtyard of the Fortaleza Ozama.

When entering this magnificent gate you can’t help but to be impressed. Just imagine how it might have felt to enter those gates into the grand arcade and garden. Beyond was the imposing tower and military buildings. Plus all the activity that might have been going on inside the fort during its hey day.

It is interesting to note holes in the doors. These holes are from bullets fired during the United States second invasion of Dominican Republic in 1965 U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson sent 42,000 marines and soldiers to protect their interests during the Revolución de Abril de 1965 when the country was in a state of civil war.

(2.) The Statue of Oviedo – 1977

The bronze Statue of Governor Gonzalo Fernández de Oviedo y Valdés.
The bronze Statue of Governor Gonzalo Fernández de Oviedo y Valdés.

The bronze Statue of Oviedo was created in 1977 by Spanish artist Joaquín Vaquero Turcios to honor Gonzalo Fernández de Oviedo y Valdés. Oviedo was governor of the fortress and also warden of the prison from 1533 to 1557.

Under the administration of Oviedo Santo Domingo reached its most brilliant period in the settlements history. Because of Oveidos geographical and administrative knowledge, every captain, military person, chief, discoverer and conqueror visited his office for advice. The legend states that when he was killed he held the keys to the gate. These keys had to be pried from his dead hand. Oveido was the first chronicler of the Indies and had an official title and salary. He wrote “Historia General y Natural de las Indias” while holding his paid post under His Majesty Charles V.

(3.) La Torre del Homenaje – 1503.

Torre del Homenaje resembles a medieval castle
Torre del Homenaje resembles a medieval castle.

Torre del Homenaje / The Tower of Homage, resembling a medieval castle, was build inside the fort by Nicolás de Ovando in 1503. Ships were hailed from the top of this monstrous looking building. It has very little ornamentation and looks very serious and sobering. This tower, with its 2-meter thick walls, was the tallest building (18m) in the entire colony in the 16th century. It was the only building of its type in the New World.

Fortaleza Ozama Torre de Homenaje Interior Stairs
Fortaleza Ozama Torre de Homenaje Interior Stairs

The main gate faces north where is the remains of the coat of arms of Charles V that the Haitians tried to remove during their occupancy, but somehow this was saved.

The Tower has served many purposes in its long history. Don Diego Colon, Admiral Christopher Columbus’ son, and his wife, Doña Maria of Toledo (she was a relative of King Ferdinand the Catholic) stayed here while their new home, The Alcazar de Colon, was being built. The family lived on the second floor and the servants lived on the first.

Torre del Homenaje interior courtyard.
Torre del Homenaje interior courtyard.

Entering the towers main floor there is a small courtyard. On the far side is an opening where you can look down into a brick dungeon. This is where Juan Pablo Duarte was held during the Haitian occupation in 1836. It was also a prison where many political figures were jailed. Peña Gómez, Juan Bosch and Bienvenido Peynado all had the distinction of being incarcerated there. The north wing was the residence of the warden. The South wing held an arsenal and a cistern.

Ojo magico. You can see out but no one could see in.
Ojo magico. You can see out but no one could see in.

The window like openings in the tower are called ojos magicos/ magic eyes. Through these openings the person on the inside could watch the comings and goings on the outside without being seen. These openings provided a great advantage when it came to defending the area. It was easy to shoot out the small “eye” and very difficult trying to shoot into the thin line from the outside.

(4.) Armory Polvorín – 1787

Armory Polvorín de Santa Bárbara
Armory Polvorín de Santa Bárbara.

Armory Polvorín de Santa Bárbara / The Arsenal is a rectangle shaped building and was constructed in 1787. The walls are 3 meters thick and there is only 1 door. Above the door is a small niche that holds the figure of Santa Bárbara, the patron saint of the gunners. The door is topped with a coat of arms picturing the Golden Fleece, the royal emblem of Charles 3. The Armory was surrounded with its own defenses of which one can see only its remains. Inside the armory is a large vault where gunpowder, weapons and ammunition were stored. The polvorín was intended to resemble a church to mislead the pirates.

Shooting Platforms

Plataforma de Tiro Baja y Alto / Low and High Shooting Platforms.
Plataforma de Tiro Baja y Alto / Low and High Shooting Platforms.

(5.) Plataforma de Tiro Baja / The Low Shooting Platform – 1570 , built in 1570, has a series of embrasures for the cannons and other arms for battle. This platform was used to protect the port with low-level fire. The ramp let the cannons be moved to where they were needed most.

Fortaleza-Ozama Plataforma de Tiro Baja / Low Shooting Platform
Fortaleza-Ozama Plataforma de Tiro Baja / Low Shooting Platform

(6.) Plataforma de Tiro Alta / The High Shooting Platform – 1650 provided protection to the port from a high range of shooting. Note: All the cannons here now came from ships that were sunk during the colonial period.

(7.) La Primera Obra

The remains of la Primera Obra/ The First Fort constructed inside Fortaleza Ozama.
The remains of la Primera Obra/ The First Fort constructed inside Fortaleza Ozama.

The remains of la Primera Obra/ The First Fort Constructed, all that is left of the first or provisional fort can be seen. This was built in the beginning of the 16th century at the same time the tower was erected. All that can be seen now is the shape of 3 chambers (two small and 1 large) within the outline. The cannons laying inside the remains are not from the original fort. They were all removed over the years, probably sold for their iron.

(8.) The Old Army Barracks

The Remains of the Old Army Barracks
The Remains of the Old Army Barracks

When Spain sent a strong battalion around 1789 new and stronger quarters were built along Calle Las Damas. The old surrounding wall, dated around the 16th century, was integrated with the new parallel wall. The remains of the second wall can still be seen. These walls supported the roof of the barracks.

(9)El Fuerte de Santiago – 1567

All that is left of the Fuerte de Santiago.
All that is left of the Fuerte de Santiago.

Fuerte de Santiago / The Fort of Santiago was the first line of defense for the Fortress. It was built with stone and brick in 1567. All that remains are four arches and a small part of the original floor. Inside the fort you can block out the surroundings and really imagine what it might have been like in the late 1500’s.

Fortaleza Ozama Garita Ozama
Fortaleza Ozama Garita Ozama

The original sentry house/ Garita Ozama on the farthest point inside the fort is still there.

(10.) Casa de Bastidas

Casa de Bastidas
The Casa de Bastidas

Casa de Bastidas/ House of Bastidas was built next to the Tower of Homage/ Torre del Homenaje in the early 16th (XVI) century around 1505. This 3 thousand square meter home has beautiful arches, a large patio and a long corridor along with Roman columns. Rodrigo de Bastidas, who was Honorary Mayor / Alcalde Ordinario of Santo Domingo in 1512 and the founder of many different South American cities. After his tragic death in Cuba his son Bishop Rodrigo de Bastidas and grandson lived in the house. It was occupied by the family heirs for more than a century.

The building was redone and updated in the eighteenth century (XVIII) when a small image of the virgin Santa Barbara was added. Now is is beautifully restored bringing back, for all to see, the marvelous times of colonial Santo Domingo. It is not the home of the Museo Infantil Trampolín.
More information about the Casa de Bastidas.

(11.) Muralla de Felix Benito

Muralla de Felix Benito
Muralla de Felix Benito

There are 2 different walls surrounding the Fort. The inside stone wall is the original. The coral wall bordered on the Rio Ozama and the Caribbean Sea (you can see the picture below dated 1910). The waters edge came very close to the old walls. This wall is not as thick as the interior walls. If there was an explosion the wall would fall outward to the river restricting any possible damage.

The higher, newer wall dates only to the time of Trujillo. This wall was constructed by the Puerto Rican Félix Benito. The purpose of the wall was to separate the fort from the newly constructed port facility. The road on the outside of this tall wall was made from river fill when they dredged the Rio Ozama to create the access road around the old city and to create new larger port facilities. Much of the old structures were lost in the creating of the port and the road Aveneda George Washington also known as the Malecon.

Old Picture

Fortaleza Ozama as seen from Rio Ozama in 1910.
Fortaleza Ozama as seen from Rio Ozama in 1910.

This is a picture of the Fortaleza Ozama as seen from Rio Ozama in 1910. This is before they made the road around the Colonial City, Avenida George Washington, and put up the stronger walls for safety for the road.

A complete picture collection of the Fortaleza Ozama

Casa de Juan Viloria

Casa de Juan Viloria

Don Juan Viloria build his beautiful home around 1520. The house was painstakingly restored in 1977. The striking Arab styled interior patio and gallery are very unique. The patio is surrounded by impressive stone arches.

Casa de Juan Viloria
Casa de Juan Viloria

Don Juan Viloria

was an important person in the original colony. He originally lived in La Vega where he was Marshall. Viloria was Governor executor of possessions for Diego Columbus. The family Colón trusted Juan completely.

Viloria was the only person permitted to serve the people of royalty. He was considered to be the Copero de los Reyes Católicos (Butler of the Catholic Monarchs).

Calle las Mercedes
Calle las Mercedes

Location: Calle Mercedes #4 between Calle las Damas and Isabel la Católica. It is next to the Casa de Gárgolas.