Then & Now / Antes & Ahora – Cine Capitolio is now Capitolio Market Place.
Cine Capitolio was built in 1925 by Juan Bautista del Toro, it was the first cinema / movie theater in the Dominican Republic.
The theater first showed silent movies, the first was “Los Enemigos de la Mujer”, then progressed to playing “talkies”. When this occurred they lost many movie goers because most of the films were in English. Finally, they presented the Mexican produced film “Charros y Manolas”, the first film they showed in the Spanish language. The theater was back in business and the cine boomed until the mid 1960’s when they closed the doors for good.
Capitolio Market Place
The building, once named Columbus Plaza, is called Capitolio Market Place. This 3 level gift shop house different retail shops, gift shops, food and cigar vendors and also have a restaurant with a daily buffet.
Then & Now / Antes & Ahora – Cine Max is now the Iglesia Pentecostal Church Dios es Amor
The Teatro or Cine Max, originally called El Travieso, is located in Barrio Chino / Chinatown. It was one of the big movie theaters of its time. In fact, it was the second largest cinema in the city of Santo Domingo. The cinema was known for the yummy goodies, including crispy fried platanos, they sold to the clientele. They were famous for their very large lobby. The cinema also had large fans for cooling and a side exit to keep movie goers coming and going easily. Thank you Historia Dominicana En Graficas for the picture.
The Iglesia Pentecostal Dios es Amor (IPDA.com.do) now occupies the old Cinema Max building. The Pentecostal church is open daily. The interior still has much of the same look as the old cinema.
Location: Av. Duarte between Av. Mella and Calle Benito Gonzales, Barrio Chino (Chinatown). It is just 1 block from La Sirena and the Colonial Zone.
A Colmado is a local convenience type store that sells just about everything one might need in small or large portions and is also a place for people to hang out, share the news and even have a drink or snack.
Colmado Piloña in years gone by and Colmado Los Muchachos now. The Colmado is located on the corner of Arzobispo Nouel and Calle Sanchez, Ciudad Trujillo, República Dominicana.
Top – Colmado Piloña in 1941
Bottom – Colmado Los Muchachos, Ciudad Colonial, Santo Domingo September 9, 2014
All You Want To Know About The Oldest City In The Americas