Tag Archives: chapel

Casa de los Dávila / Capilla de los Remedios

Casa de los Dávila

and the

Capilla de los Remedios

/ House of Dávila and The Chapel of Remedies was one of the most modern and complete houses of its time. It was built Siglo XVI / The 16th century.

Casa de los Dávila on Calle las Damas
Casa de los Dávila on Calle las Damas

Casa de los Dávila

was the residence of don Francisco Dávila, the richest families on the island at this time. It was one of the most modern and complete houses of its time. The house has a bunker built into the wall and was connected to Fuerte El Invencible. The house was later integrated into the Casa de Ovando/ House of Ovando where the Hotel Nicolás de Ovando is now.

Casa de los Dávila
Casa de los Dávila

The Casa de los Dávila is one of the few homes in the city to have its own private chapel,

Capilla de los Remedios

. The chapel was built to house the remains of his family. This is where the body of Francisco Dávila is interred.

Capilla de los Remedios
Capilla de los Remedios

The chapels architectural style is Mudejar, created by the Muslims. The interior structure holds a small temple in the shape of a cross with a vaulted brick ceiling. The outside of the chapel has a bell tower made of brick that has a spectacular view of the port. At the time it was built the tower also displayed he families’ coat of arms/ escudo de armas which was destroyed by Boyers who led the invading Haitian troupes in 1830.

Capilla de los Dávilas as seen from Plaza Reloj de Sol
Capilla de los Dávilas as seen from Plaza Reloj de Sol

This small but important chapel was damaged many times throughout history and has always been rebuilt. In 1853 the chapel was damaged by a lightning strike then in 1930 by a hurricane.

The chapel fell into ruins by 1872 and stayed this way until three friends, known as The Three Johns/ Los tres Juanes, decided that this building could be saved. They were Don Juan Alejandro Acosta, DonJuan F. Travieso, both heroes of Independence, and Don Juan Pumarol. These three men got permission from the vicar of the Archdiocese to do the restoration. Finally, March 1884, the work on the little chapel completed and it was blessed.

The view of the Chapel from below.
The view of the Chapel from below.

The chapel has been repaired as needed and updated with air conditioning and other niceties. When you find the doors open be sure to visit, take a seat on one of the wooden benches, and relax for a few minutes. It is used for concerts and exhibitions.

Casa de los Dávilas on Calle las Damas
Casa de los Dávilas on Calle las Damas The Guardia del Presidente are exercising in the Plaza

Directions

: The Casa de los Dávila is located on Calle Las Damas # 57. The Capilla de los Remedios is on one side of the house and the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando on the other.

Walk east on Calle el Conde to Calle Las Damas. Turn left (north) walk about 2 blocks and it is the last building on the right before the Plaza del Sol Reloj / Plaza of the Sun Dial and Plaza España. If you come from Calle Las Mercedes and walk towards the River you will run directly into the chapel.

Casa de los Dávila and Capilla de los Remedios as seen from Calle las Mercedes
Casa de los Dávila and Capilla de los Remedios as seen from Calle las Mercedes

Iglesia Altagracia

Iglesia Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia / Chapel de Altagracia

A tribute of love, recognition and eternal memory.

Originally built by Nicolas de Ovando in 1503. It was a small stone chapel.

Iglesia Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia

The church was rebuilt in the 1920’s over the original building in an Elizabethan Gothic style. The wall of this church was once shared with the Hospital San Nicolás de Bari, the ruins that run alongside this church. Within these walls is the remains of the original 1540’ brick Capilla de la Concepción / Conception Chapel.

Interior of the Iglesia Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia

Inside the large church the decoration is strongly influenced by Arab and Spanish art. Some of the art includes the Sol de Oro / Sun of Gold, a model of the star that announced Christ’s birth, and a beautiful altar.

Saturday night mass at the Iglesia Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia

The Virgin Altagracia

is the protector saint of the Dominican Republic, celebrated yearly on January 21. More information on Altagracia.

During the procession on Altagracia Day on January 21st the virgin is carried throughout the streets of the Colonial city on glorious golden throne donated by then President and dictator Trujillo (the church organ was also donated by Trujillo)

Iglesia Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia on Calle Hostos

Check out our picture collection of the Iglesia Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia.

Location

: From Calle el Conce turn north on Hostos. Go about 1 block (long block) between Luperon and Las Mercedes, Colonial Zone, Santo Domingo

Iglesia Nuestra Señora del Carmen

Iglesia Nuestra Señora del Carmen / The Church of Our Lady of Carmen

The Brotherhood of Remedies and of Carmen, a small group of parishioners, wanted to have a small chapel for their meetings. They built their small chapel in 1615 on a plot of land owned by the San Andres Hospital.

Iglesia Nuestra Señora del Carmen

In 1729 the chapel was enlarged. The main entrance door dates back to this period. It was christened the Plazoleta de la Trinitaria and was used as a meeting ground for the Dominicans who led the revolt against the Haitians who occupied the city in 1844.

Inside this chapel there is a wooden sculpture of the Nazareno (Nazarene) who is a type of Christ.

Door of the Iglesia Nuestra Señora del Carmen

Location

: From Calle el Conde turn south on Sanchez. Go 1 block to Calle Arzobispo Nouel. It is on the left beside the Capilla de San Andrés.