Casa de los Jesuitas / House of the Jesuites
home of Sede del Centro de Altos Estudios Humanísticos y del Idioma Español / Headquarters Center for Advanced Humanistic Studies and Spanish Language.
The stone and brick house, Casa de los Jesuitas, is one of the oldest buildings in the city. Governor Fray Nicolás de Ovando ordered the Jesuits to build this house in the early 16th century.
In 1701 ordered to be used as a university. The building was finally completed in 1747.
Twenty years later the Jesuits were banned from the Dominican Republic so the building was given to the state. It became the home of the Colegio Santiago de la Paz y Gorjón 1767.
Location: The corner of Calle Las Damas and Calle Las Mercedes across from Casa Reales.