Tag Archives: university

Colegio de Gorjón

Colegio de Gorjón, home of Centro Cultural de España

Colegio de Gorjón/ College or School of Gorjón was a vision of rich landowner and sugar tycoon Hernando de Gorjón. The building was later restored and now is the home of Centro Cultural de España/ Cultural Center of Spain.

The College of Gorjón home of Central Cultural de España.

Hernando de Gorjón

Hernando de Gorjón came to the island in 1502 on the same expedition that brought Fray Governor Nicholas de Ovando and the Licenciado/ Lawyer Bartolomé de las Casas. Since he did not have any heirs Gorjón decided to build a college for the study of sciences. Sadly, he never got to see his dream completed. The building was finished in 1550, after his death.

University of Santiago De La Paz

In 1583 it was named part of the University of Santiago De La Paz. The university was finally confirmed by Cédula Real in 1741 when Fernando VI gave it recognition as the Universidad de Santo Domingo.

An art display on the front of the Centro Cultural de España.

Centro Cultural de España/ Cultural Center of Spain

The Colegio de Gorjón was restored beautifully in the 1970’s by the Comisión de Monumentos de Santo Domingo/ Monument Commission. At this time it was decided to make the building return to its original use and become a center for learning and culture. In 1990 the location was the Centro Cultural Hispánico. Since 1998 to present day The Colegio de Gorjón is the home of the Centro Cultural de España/ Cultural Center of Spain (CCEDS http://www.ccesd.org). It is an institution integrated into the worldwide network of cultural centers of the Spanish Agency of Cooperation the International, AECI.

Architect

Many architectural interests of great historic value can be seen throughout the Colegio de Gorjón starting with the main entrance and windows.

The outside of the building can be very deceiving as it looks so plain and simple. Once you enter the front doors the interior is quite large.

Entering the building there is a stone vestibule that represents the Elizabethan period in the New World. It is decorated with several restored shields of arms that were destroyed during the Haitian invasion.

Patio of the Centro Cultural de España.

The main room was originally a chapel. Today it is the exhibition hall named in honor of painter and sculptor Antonio Prats Ventós. The Spanish patio is now the place where many outdoor concerts and exhibitions are held. The patio is surrounded by splendid columns and holds about 200 people.

Many of the old classrooms from the original school are now exhibition halls including Sala Maria Ugarte and the Sala Fotográfica. On the second floor is a library, smaller rooms and offices.

Location:

Calle Arz. Meriño between Calle Jose Gabriel Garcia and Arz. Portes.

Casa de los Jesuitas

Casa de los Jesuitas / House of the Jesuites

home of Sede del Centro de Altos Estudios Humanísticos y del Idioma Español / Headquarters Center for Advanced Humanistic Studies and Spanish Language.

La Casa de los Jesuitas on Calle las Damas
La Casa de los Jesuitas on Calle las Damas

The stone and brick house, Casa de los Jesuitas, is one of the oldest buildings in the city. Governor Fray Nicolás de Ovando ordered the Jesuits to build this house in the early 16th century.

La Casa de los Jesuitas on the corners of Calle las Damas and Las Mercedes
La Casa de los Jesuitas on the corners of Calle las Damas and Las Mercedes

In 1701 ordered to be used as a university. The building was finally completed in 1747.

La Casa de los Jesuitas gargoyle.
La Casa de los Jesuitas gargoyle.

Twenty years later the Jesuits were banned from the Dominican Republic so the building was given to the state. It became the home of the Colegio Santiago de la Paz y Gorjón 1767.

La Casa de los Jesuitas
La Casa de los Jesuitas
Casa de los Jesuitas plaque on wall
Casa de los Jesuitas plaque on wall

Location: The corner of Calle Las Damas and Calle Las Mercedes across from Casa Reales.

Capilla de la Tercera Orden Dominica

Capilla de la Tercera Orden Dominica / Chapel of the Third Dominican Order

The Capilla de la Tercera Orden Dominica was constructed around 1514, originally part of the Iglesia y Convento de la Orden Dominica Entre la Capilla y la Iglesia, it is now home to Casa de la Juventud.

The front of the Capilla de la Tercera Orden Dominica

The Original Chapel

Constructed around 1514 this building was originally part of the Convento e Iglesia de los Padres Dominicos. It was the home of the Tercera Orden Dominica. The original building was first constructed of wood while the desired bricks and building materials were collected.

Interior of the Capilla de la Tercera Orden Dominico
Interior of the Capilla de la Tercera Orden Dominico

The First University In The New World

Eugenio María de Hostos founded the Escuela de Maestros Normalistas. The School of Normalist Teachers (for baccalaureate)was one of the great educational advances of the country. This university is part of the many “firsts” in Dominican Republic.

Side view of the Capilla de la Tercera Orden Dominico
Side view of the Capilla de la Tercera Orden Dominico

The chapel is topped with a bell tower and for decades was home to the municipal library.

The Capilla de la Tercera Orden Dominico
The Capilla de la Tercera Orden Dominico on Calle Padre Billini

Casa de la Juventud

The building is now home to the Casa de la Juventud / House of the Young Youth Ministry. The youth program is run by Father Luis Rosario and there are many youth and fun activities held here now.
The chapel is also a favorite spot for film makers to set up their home base.

Plaza Capilla de la Tercera Orden Dominica Panorama
Plaza Capilla de la Tercera Orden Dominica Panorama

There is a beautiful and peaceful garden behind the Chapel that is sometimes open where one can sit and relax.

Capilla de la Tercera Orden Dominica
Capilla de la Tercera Orden Dominica with the Iglesia de los Padres Dominicos in the distance.

Location:

Walking on Calle el Conde turn south on Hostos or Duarte. Go 2 blocks. In front of Parque Duarte on Calle Padre Billini is the Iglesia de los Padres Dominicos (left) and Chapel (right) with a small plaza separating them.

The back of the Capilla de la Tercera Orden Dominica at a small plaza at night