Tag Archives: las casas

Frey Bartolomé de Las Casas

Frey Father Bartolomé de Las Casas

Father – Frey Bartolomé de Las Casas was so many things to so many people. He was part of the original colonization of Santo Domingo. He fought for human rights in defense of the Indigenous peoples of Hispaniola.

Painting of Frey Bartolomé de Las Casas
Painting of Frey Bartolomé de Las Casas

Books By Las Casas

Frey Bartolomé de Las Casas was a Spanish colonist, a priest, a friar, the founder of a Utopian community and first Bishop of Chiapas. He was a scholar, historian and 16th century human rights advocate. Las Casas has been called the Father of anti-imperialism and anti-racism. Considered by some to be a saint and by others to be a fanatic and close to insanity.

Las Casas to this day is still very much an icon. He is the symbol of justice and the fight for human rights in Latin America. He led the way for many peoples fight for freedom and human rights. So, no matter what people thought of this Dominican monk, he made a great influence in the life and culture of the world.

It is interesting to note his birth and death years. 1484*-1566*. There are many different dates for the time of Las Casas birth and death. Originally it was said he was born 1474 but after some scholars did some studying they discovered he was really born much later in 1484. So now history has change and his official birth date is November 16, 1484. Las Casas died, some reports say on July 17th and others say the 18th, 1566 when he was either 81 or 82 years of age.

The statue honoring Las Casas located in the Plaza Bartolomé de Las Casas in the Ciudad Colonial
The statue honoring Las Casas located in the Plaza Bartolomé de Las Casas in the Ciudad Colonial

Las Casas was born in Spain and studied in the Cathedral school of Sevillana. He came to Hispaniola with the expedition of Nicholas de Ovando in 1502. He participated in some campaigns of conquest on the island and left for Rome in 1507. When he returned was granted an allotment of Indians by Diego Columbus.

Padre las Casas was the first to hold mass for the Indians in the Americas. A sermon of Fray Pedro of Cordova in favor of the Indians helped to unite the fight in the defense of the exploded Taino Indians. He intervened with the head of the Dominican priests to look for the solution to the problem of the indigenous peoples. As of that moment, the young priest became the lawyer of the mistreated Native race. With that aim he traveled to Spain, where he met with King Fernando the Catholic, at the end of 1515. He gained nothing with that interview.

After the Death of King Fernando, Cardinal Cisneros replaced him in the Court. Finally, with Cardinal Cisneros at the head, Bartolomé was able to form a group, administered by Spaniards and helped by monks, to aid the indigenous peoples of the island. Still, the people in charge did not want to give freedom to the Indians.

Las Casas returned to Spain, where meeting with the new Monarch Carlos V, proposed new plans to improve the life of the Indians. One of the proposals of the Father the Houses was the one to replace the indigenous population with black Africans. This proposal was accepted but it did not improve the situation of the Indian. The Indians of Hispaniola disappeared quickly, in spite of the effort of Las Casas to protect them.

When there were very few indigenous Indians left on the island Las Casas went to the newly conquered territories and continued with his defense of the natives. He was against the violent conquest of the territories and always protested against the great slaughtering carried on by the conquerors.

It is also interesting to note that Las Casas, while fighting for the rights of the Natives did not fight for the rights of the African Slaves. He did not want Indian slavery but he still used African slaves. Bartolomé de las Casas eventually came to the realization that all forms of slavery were wrong and inhumane. In The History of the Indies published in 1527 Las Casas is quoted saying “I soon repented and judged myself guilty of ignorance. I came to realize that black slavery was as unjust as Indian slavery…
and I was not sure that my ignorance and good faith would secure me in the eyes of God.”

Las Casas fought in several locations of South and Central America trying to prevent the extermination of the Indians. While in Peru he preached against the violence of Pizarro in the conquest of the Incan Empire. For this reason he was transferred and imprisoned in Santo Domingo in 1533.

Bartolomé continued his fight in 1535 when he was released from prison and continued on to Central America. In Guatemala he made an attempt of pacific conquest.

An interesting quote by Las Casas:
“The reason why the Christians have killed and destroyed such an infinite number of souls is that they have been moved by their wish for gold and their desire to enrich themselves in a very short time”

Las Casas Books

Las Casas fought for the rights of the Indians until his death in July 1566. He wrote several important works about the conquest and Spanish colonization in Las Americas. The books “Apologética” and the “Historia de Las Indias” (History of the Indians”) are the most recognized. In his will he signed over all his writings to the College of San Gregorio.

Some writings of Las Casas
*Apologetic History of the Indies
*History of the Indies
*Spanish Cruelties
*A Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies
*Comprobatory Treatise on the Imperial Sovereignty and Universal Jurisdiction which the Kings of Castile Have over these Indies

A list of books by and about Frey Bartolome de las Casas on Amazon

Plaza Bartolomé de Las Casas in the Ciudad Colonial
Plaza Bartolomé de Las Casas in the Ciudad Colonial

For much more on Las Casas please go to http://www.lascasas.org

Plaza Frey Bartolomé de Las Casas

There is a small and beautiful plaza in the Colonial Zone honoring Las Casas. It is located on Calle Padre Billini between Hostos and Arz. Meriño.

Iglesia Los Dominicos

Iglesia Convento de Los Dominicos / Church and Convent of the Dominicos

The Church and Convent of the Order of the Dominicos is one of the original churches of Colonial Santo Domingo. This was also the home of the first university in the New World.

Iglesia Convento de Los Dominicos | First University | Architecture | Capilla Nuestra Señora del Rosario | Hours and Location

Also known as – Convento e Iglesia de los Padres Dominicos/ Monastery (Convent) and Church of the Dominican Fathers (Order), Imperial Convento de Santo Domingo and Convento de la Orden de los Predicadores o frailes Dominicos/ Convent of the Order of Preachers or Dominicos Friars.

The front entrance to the Iglesia de Los Dominicos

The history of one of the original convents and churches of the Colonial Era.

The church is part of The United Nations Organization for Education, Science and Culture (UNESCO) and what makes the Colonial Zone such a special place.

With the arrival of Columbus to the island of Hispaniola in 1492 the process of colonization started. In Autumn 1508 the abbot general of the Order of the Dominicos sent word to the King of Spain that they needed to send representatives to Hispaniola. Finally, in 1510 it was agreed to send fifteen friars to Santo Domingo.

The back side of the chirch is the Convento de Los Dominicos

When the delegated representatives started arriving they stayed in a meager wooden home. The person living there got booted so the friars had a place to stay. The building of the chapel progressed very slowly as there was no cash allotted or sent for its construction.

In the mean time, the friars held meetings and gave their sermons in different parts of the city while waiting for the construction to be completed.

Interior of the Iglesia de los Padres Dominicos

It took a long time to get the chapel built because Spain really did not care to send money for the construction work. Frey Bartolomé de Las Casas, who was in charge of the church in the mid 1500’s, eventually sent fray Antonio de Montesino to petition the King for some aide. Finally in 1522, nine years later, Spain came up with the cash and Montecinos hired a builder. There is no real information if this builder ever came to the island or not. Also, there is not much on record of the construction of the building.

Convento y Iglesia de los Padres Dominicos stained glass window
Convento y Iglesia de los Padres Dominicos stained glass window

In 1531-1532 they had the official inauguration of the chapel. Some of the important persons in attendance were Pedro de Córdoba, Reginaldo de Montesinos, Bartolomé de las Casas y Antonio de Montesinos.

The first university in America

In 1534 the convent began holding classes, and in 1538 became the first university in America by the order of Bula In Apostolatus Culmine, with the blessings of Papa Paulo III / Pope Paul the Third. The original name was Universidad de Santo Tomás de Aquino and later it was changed to the Universidad Primada de América / First University of America.

The back of the Iglesia de los Padres Dominicos


The building was constructed with a mix of architectural styles including Elizabethan Gothic, Baroque and Gothic. The exterior has many different statues and images that are the works of brothers Jorge y Ajejo Fernández from Seville. In the Sixteenth century (Siglo XVI) the entrance to the building boasts five altarpieces; one is painted by Juan Martínez Montañés, a very famous painter of the colonial era.

In 1588 the building was in bad repair. It was too small for all who lived within its walls. Finally, they got money to repair and rebuild. The reconstruction left a few of the original walls incorporated into the building.

On the outside looking in at the Iglesia de los Padres Dominicos

The building has been destroyed many times throughout the years but has always been rebuilt.

1545 – A windstorm knocked down the belfry.
1586 – Sir Francis Drake severely damaged the building when he invaded Hispaniola.
1673 – This huge earthquake destroyed parts of the building
1684 – Later another earthquake collapsed the roof of the building

In 1681 the building was said to be in very bad shape. The wooden roof needed to be replaced and the entire structure had to be re-worked. Finally, in 1746 the roof was reconstructed to be a barrel vault type roof.

The interior of the Iglesia de los Padres Dominicos on Palm Sunday

There are 5 small chapels inside the church

Capilla del Sagrado, Capilla del Rosario, Capilla de Solano, Capilla de la Altagracia and Capilla del Pilar.

Capilla Nuestra Señora del Rosario/ Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary

The Fiesta del Rosario is a very solemn event held in the city. This chapel is part of the Church of the Dominican Order. The interior has almost a sun looking vaulted roof above the altar. The way the high windows let in the light adds to the look. As in the XVII Century style, the art above the dome shows God-like bearded men amidst planets and clouds.

Interior of the Iglesia, close up of the interior ceiling

The entrance has Gothic Baroque styles and shows chaos. There are statues of Saint Peter and Paul, busts of Saint Thomas and Peter the Martyr. There are representations of other saints as well as signs representing faith and hope.

The top has a representation of the Virgin handing Santo Domingo the rosary. At the bottom of this archway are monsters representing the chaotic forces of the world.

Interior of the Iglesia de Los Dominicos at night.

When the building was restored in 1746 and the vaulted ceiling was added many there were many other additions as well. A sun was added in the center supported at 4 points, the cardinal points of the universe. These 4 points are masculine representations of the planets (Jupiter, Mars, Saturn and Mercury the feminine planets, Venus and Luna, are excluded and not represented), 4 temptations and the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse.

A road sign depicting the present street name and the original name, Calle De La Universidad


– Monday – Saturday 7AM for morning prayers. Sundays 8AM, 11AM and 7PM

Open for visitors: 8:30AM to 12:30PM and 3PM to 6PM. There is a small entrance fee. Please do not enter or take pictures when there is a service or event.

The sculpture “Homeless Jesus” / La escultura “Jesús Desamparado” by Canadian artist Timothy P. Schmalz is located in the Plaza in front of the church.


Walking on Calle el Conde turn south on Calles Hostos or Duarte. Go 2 blocks. The burnt orange colored building is across from Parque Duarte on Calle Padre Billini. The front of the church faces a plaza and the small street Calle Macoris, Ciudad Colonial.

Iglesia de Los Dominicos, Calle Padre Billini, Ciudad Colonial

Address: Calle Hostos, 64. Apartado z-069. Ciudad Colonial, Santo Domingo, D.N. Dominican Republic 10210
Contact: (809) 682-3780

For more detailed information visit http://conventodominico.org